Monday, April 18, 2005

Whole Foods Update

Well, I haven't heard back from them, but I did go shopping today and they are still carrying the 'Nasoya' tofu that I love. I would like to make it clear that I am not trying to tell them what to sell. My main point is that they not become a single brand store. Unfortunately, I know that it makes more economic sense to buy black beans from a variety of producers and then sell them all under one label. At this point, I trust WFM to do this as consienciously as they have run their business from the start. But it starts to look a little 'Starbucksy' like someone's comment on the earlier WFM letter alluded to. And if economics can drive you to that point, why wouldn't it drive you back to buying beans that weren't grown organically. I am not insinuating anything here, let's be very clear, but image counts for a lot and what is best economically often looks like hell.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I fully understand your frustration. In fact, I probably have an even more frustrating seat in the house, being a Whole Foods employee. I've been watching a company and culture I love, be turned into a corporate monster. The individualism that was for so long the mark of Whole Foods is creeping away. And yes, it is about business and efficiency for the most part. I do hope for the company's sake, that they still allow for some strong believers to remain true to the early ideals that WFM was founded on. I haven't lost all faith. I still do see strong committments to organically grown and produced products, lots of locally made and produced products on a region to region basis. And for as long as I am still part of the company, I will fight to continue to do my part to represent artisan, whole products for my customers to enjoy and appreciate.

Thank you for remaining our customer. I speak, not for the company, but simply as an individual who works for the company.

Dany,
Cheese Buyer, Franklin

12:33 PM  
Blogger krome said...

Dany, thanks for your input. Please let your colleagues(especially in Austin) know that I would be interested in their thoughts. They can, of course, comment anonymously. WFM knows the original letter went up here, but I have no idea whether or not they care.

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home