Thursday, April 14, 2005

To Whole Foods

The letter that follows speaks largely for itself. Those of you who remember the funky little store at 9th and Lamar will understand. And those of you who don't know where Whole Foods came from should. I said I had been shopping with them since "I came to Austin in 1981 or '82" because I wasn't sure when they opened. They opened in '80 and there is documented evidence that I was in Austin permanently in mid 1981.

"Hi there, I have been shopping at Whole Foods since I arrived in Austin as a runaway in 1981 or '82. I came to San Francisco in 1996 and was pleased when you guys opened a store the same year. It seemed like destiny. So, I have been a faithful customer for over 20 years and I am the first to defend you guys when people call you "Whole Paycheck" and stuff, explaining to them who you are and where you have come from. You probably won't be surprised to hear that quite a few people don't have any idea of your history and how you have played a very large role in redefining the American shopping experience. Perhaps you don't want them to know.

Having grown up in Houston and Austin, I know it first hand. You guys were a light in the darkness of a universe of Krogers and HEBs and Safeways. At least once, I helped sandbag the original store at 9th and Lamar when Shoal Creek was about to flood. We go back a long, long way and I am, for the most part, just as proud of you today as I was in the early '80s.

However, I will not contribute to your current(last 5 years or so) hegemonistic tendencies, I don't care if they are more economically sound or not. Part of the joy of shopping at your stores, and I have shopped at stores in TX, CA, and CO, is finding the best items from around the world, be it fresh vegetables or olive oil. In short, I have gone and will go out of my way to not buy 365 branded items.

I was shopping at the SF(franklin) store yesterday and went to pick up some tofu. Not only had the item moved(no biggie) but my favorite brand wasn't available. In fact, the only tofu available was the firm Wildwood(which I used to eat but quit buying) and several versions of 365 branded tofu. Needless to say, I bought the Wildwood. My concern is that you may be planning to do away with my favorite brand(alas I don't really remember the name. 'Novsoya' or somesuch) and carry only the 365 stuff which would necessitate my going to Cala for my tofu. I have noticed such a trend in the bean section. I can no longer get Progresso beans at WFM, but I can get some non-365 stuff which works as well. Please don't do this.

I know you have a business to run. I know it works on paper, but this trend toward hegemonisation of your product line is discomforting to those of us who grew up with Krogers and HEBs and Safeways.

Yours until you start looking like a 'real' grocery store,

Krome

P.S. This will also be posted on my blog, kromeisburning.blogspot.com"

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

good letter.

you will be happy to note that the next time you visit Manhattan there are two new Whole Foods easily accessible from my house. I am most excited about the one that opened across from Union Square on Wednesday. I enjoy shopping there but I am hoping they do not go the way of the Starbucks. They're publicly traded right?

1:47 PM  
Blogger krome said...

Yes:

http://quotes.nasdaq.com/Quote.dll?mode=stock&symbol=wfmi&symbol=&symbol=&symbol=&symbol=&symbol=&symbol=&symbol=&symbol=&symbol=&multi.x=31&multi.y=6

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home