Friday, March 17, 2006

New Paintings

I have a couple of new paintings up at the Arts Site and here is a slight analysis of one of them:

"politics 2385: What would be a fitting monument to the Bush
Regime...?
#17 of 119: Tell your piteous heart there's no harm done. (krome) Sat
01 Oct 2005 (10:37 PM)

"If you want a picture of the
future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever"

Anyone remember what that's from? I imagine the boot bright yellow
with a happy face on it and lug soles coming down on you next to a
rifle butt. It is now on my list of things to paint, but may be a
month or so down the road."

So, this idea became this:

http://www.kevarts.com/heart.html

Rather than the boot which is a bit too representational for me, I
decided to put Big Brother(bb) on a grafittied subway wall in the form
of a smily face whose eyes are lenses and without a mouth to betray any
emotion. But I still wanted the boot reference so the eyes are formed
with boot heel marks. I thought I would reenforce the idea with a few
other treads.

The attempt at a mouth I wanted to look like had been done by a
drunken rebel with some lipstick(so, lipstick was actually used) and
the shoe print at the bottom is that of a sneaker favored by punk
rockers(there is also another of these prints in pale yellow towards
the center).

All this really underscores my long time issues with political art; I
have a hard time making ugly things to comment upon ugliness and
sometimes I am afraid that by trying to make something beautiful and
political it will miss the political. The take home point I suppose is
that we will always win even if we must always fight TPTB.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home