Saturday, March 05, 2005

Hmmm...Saturday, broke, happy...

I will be 40 years old in 10 weeks or so and the other day I got carded when ordering Sake at the Sushi bar. Cool.

Since this is a blog, perhaps I can lay off the politics for a bit and just chat. Listening to 'Another Green World' after dinner of home-made lentils and fresh bread, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in the fridge. BTW Sierra Nevada means "snowy mountain range" so the only correct way to truncate the name is "the sierra" rather than "the sierras" which would mean "mountain ranges" while we only have the one.

And Junipero Serra was the monk responsible for most of the California missions. Depending upon which traffic commentator you are hearing it is pronounced as "Junipero" as in soft G up front or "Junipero" as in sort of soft H up front. Either works. But " the Sierra" is the only proper way to say that.

40 doesn't mean anything to me. 35 meant more. It has taken me longer than it should have to realize that most people don't have a goal for their lives. If you had asked me 30 years ago what I wanted to be, the response would probably be the same as it is now, "an Artist". Art, as little as it means to most people, is really the only thing that matters to me. It has taken me awhile to realize this as well. I am not as sharp sometimes as I think I should be.

A few years ago I stopped in a bar here in SF and in the newspaper rack there was a copy of the fanzine "Maximum Rock&Roll" which I hadn't seen in awhile. Reading through the letters to the editor, I came across a letter from a guy in prison in TX who used to be the singer for a band called Verbal Abuse. His stage name was Nikki Sicki(sp?) . His real name is Nicky Hanson and I knew him many, many years ago in Houston. I fed him at my Dad's house and I met his parents once at their place in Memorial Drive. Not sure what this means but it screws with one's mind to pick up a fanzine in a bar in SF and find a letter from someone you haven't even thought of in 15 years or so. Reminds you of where you aren't.

Have another friend going to prison for 2-3 years for tax evasion and other things. When I was distraut to hear this, he said that "you can't tell what life is going to bring". I have heard the same from others. It's as if they are just standing around waiting for life to happen to them.

And since I cannot stop with the politics check this out http://mediamatters.org/items/200503050004
They really are trying to stop all thought.

It seems that I knew this as a child as I know it now. Why can't we stop this? Why are we so wedded to stupidity and fascism?

As to the title of this post: it is Saturday and there's nothing to be done for it. Not that I wish for it to not be Saturday. I'm broke because I have been laid off 2 times in 14 months and am, once again, having to figure out how to live on unemployment. Happy because being really, really poor simplifies so much. I mean, you don't have to think about what to do with your money.


yeah, so, I'm cool...but I do wonder why we can't use wisdom more to govern youthful surety and ignorance


And for those of you who, like me, have found yourselves in that oh so dark land of trying to figure out WHY GWB wants to do what he does, here it is in all its disturbing psychosis and pathology http://www.alternativesmagazine.com/31/levy.html
(or the longer version at http://www.awakeninthedream.com/georgew.html )

Good Night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home